Bunded Oil Tank Regulations

Fuel tank bowser green HVO diesel

Fuel Storage Regulations for your home or business

You have to follow certain regulations if you have an oil storage container at your home, business or farm.

Oil storage containers include tanks, drums, intermediate bulk containers (IBCs) and mobile containers called ‘bowsers’.

The person responsible for the property or premises is usually legally responsible for the oil storage container, for example the homeowner, business owner or site manager.

Which regulations to follow

The regulations are different depending on where you store your oil.

At your home

You normally have to follow building regulations for your home if you have an oil storage container installed.

If your storage container can hold 3,501 litres or more, you must follow the regulations for businesses.

At your your business

You have to follow oil storage regulations for businesses if the container can hold 201 litres or more of certain types of oil.

The regulations for businesses also apply to public sector buildings like schools, hospitals, churches and residential care homes.

At your farm

You have to follow different regulations depending on whether you’re storing oil:

Checking and labelling your tank

You should get your oil storage container inspected every year by someone who’s registered with a ‘competent person’ scheme.

The person inspecting your tank will let you know when you should replace it.

Oil Care suggest that you check your oil tank is not damaged or leaking at least once a month.

Learn what to do if you have an oil leak or spill.

Your tank should have a sticker that tells you how to look after your oil. If it does not, you can order a new sticker.

There are some exemptions from this legislation

  • Oil stored underground
  • Oil used for the onward distribution to another location
  • Waste mineral oil storage
  • At a single private dwelling storing less than 3,500 litres of fuel, however, you must refer to the Building Regulations for replacement/new tanks
  • Agricultural use of oil on farms for heat and power production. This is also covered by the Control of Pollution (Silage, Slurry and Agricultural Fuel Oil), 1991

No fuel storage on site? Compass Fuels have a range of fully bunded steel tanks from 1000 litres up to 10,000 litres available for long or short term hire all over the country, Our most popular unit is the CFT1500, shown above.