Hydraulic oils are non-compressed fuels that allow power to transfer from one side of the equipment to the other. Generally, a force from a piston or cylinder will be applied at one side, which pushes this hydraulic oil or fluid through the system, exerting a force on the other side, resulting in movement or action. These are often synthetic or mineral based fluids, but you can also opt for biodegradable hydraulic oils. So what are these? And what are the advantages of switching to biodegradable hydraulic oils? Well, here at Compass Fuel Oils, we are the UK’s leading provider of fuel oils like red diesel and kerosene, as well as lubricants and greases. And this is our guide to why you should choose biodegradable hydraulic oils.
What are the advantages of switching to biodegradable hydraulic oils?
There are several advantages to changing your hydraulic fuel to biodegradable hydraulic oil instead. These benefits include:
- Protecting the environment- biodegradable hydraulic oils are a great option for lowering the risk of environmental pollution, particularly when considering oil spills or working in agricultural or green spaces.
- Reducing toxicity- biodegradable hydraulic oils have a lower toxicity than other hydraulic fuels. This makes it safer for the operator, as well as the environment.
- Comparative properties- the properties of biodegradable hydraulic oils are easily compared to other hydraulic fuels, with good lubricating properties, a high viscosity index and a high flash point.
- Comparative prices- prices and budgets are often the deciding factor for any company looking to make changes, and biodegradable hydraulic oils are competitively priced, with prices expected to drop slightly lower in the future, as environmental protection becomes even more crucial.
What are biodegradable hydraulic oils used for?
Biodegradable hydraulic oils are used for a range of purposes, including:
- Tractors- For hydraulic brakes and hydraulic systems on agricultural vehicles and machinery like tractors, hydraulic oil is necessary. You should be sure to choose reputable oils from a company you can trust, like us here at Compass Fuel Oils, especially for high value machinery.
- Forklift trucks- Forklift trucks and stackers use a hydraulic system to power the forks which need to lift extremely heavy loads.
- Log splitters- Log splitters, or wood splitters, require a high level of power to split logs and this power is provided by a hydraulic system.
- Air tools- High-pressure hydraulic oil is necessary for Air tools and air compressors.
How can you switch to biodegradable hydraulic oils?
You can switch out your old oil, and switch to the biodegradable hydraulic oil in 3 simple steps:
- Step 1: Drain all of the oil from the hydraulic system. A large amount will probably remain in the pipes, pumps valves, cylinders and valves which you should also safely dispose of.
- Step 2: Then fill the system to the normal level with the new biodegradable hydraulic oil, and work this system for a period of 2 to 3 minutes. This helps flush out the system and clean it.
- Step 3: Repeat the previous two steps until the 2% limit is reached. We recommend 3 or 4 drains to make sure the 2% limit is reached.
For high quality biodegradable hydraulic oils you can count on, get in touch with the team here at Compass Fuel Oils today.